Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I will never make it in time.........

In one of my blogs before, I had said that the reason I started putting my thoughts for public-reading is because I'm running out of time. I've been feeling like I'm running out of time for 20 years now. The people in my inner-circle wonder why I have such a morbid view of life yet can be so optimistic about living. I'm not running out of time because I'm dying - I'm running out of time to START Living.

I delayed a good 20-25 years of my life. I think it's fair that I take my chances now, to prepare more groundwork for the next-gen to take over. I often feel like I'm going to be one of the few Gen-X-ers who will be able to link the glories and virtues of the old-world/old-capitalism/old-intellect with the new evolving world, a world where Information is Plenty but the Knowledge to utilize and Power to Magnetize Information is scarce.

I found some of the meaning for my drive when I realized the threat, the pursuit of English, is posing to cultures and languagues and thought processes around the world. I realized how significant this was when I began acquiring Mandarin at about the same time I'm sold on Steven Pinker's writing;our thoughts, which influences our perspectives and actions, are based upon the way we process information and express them; language.

Perhaps some Malaysians realize this, perhaps many still don't; learning English is NOT the answer to a better future, it is only one of several enablers that can only work in synergy with other things present. Many people out there are profitting from this grand illussion, I call them, "Peddlers of false prophecies". (I'll TM that if the phrase hasn't been TM-ed yet!) So you sign on to a contract with illussions of a car and 15 years later you realize all you have is the steering wheel.

I am not against the pursuit of English as a second-language, I am against the idea that a proficiency and thought-immersion in the American-English culture determines a person's currency, validity and worth within a certain economic frame. A majority of people pursuing the acquisition of English as a second language will never reach the sort of proficiency in reading, writing and speaking to benefit from a perceived advantage in an "English-speaking" world. What I'm concerned with is that these people will constantly be left with a feeling of reduced self-esteem, not because they truly believe they are worth less economically or otherwise, but because of the looming illussion that their English is not 'good enough'. I doubt even the native-speakers of English wish this upon others, and I doubt it's their fault. It is the fault of a collective of people who were misguided in their ambitious frame of thoughts about 'the future'.

It is the lessened view of non-native speakers of themselves and the pursuit of false prophecies that I am concerned about. "Poverty" is not a lack of money, "poverty" is the perception that a person lacks opportunities and empowerment to create as much wealth for themselves, and those they care about, as possible. I do not wish to see a world with a new kind of 'mental poverty' when automation and technology has facilitated the creation of enough abundance and information yet people still feel lacking.

I am fortunate that I have a very strong ability to magnetize information, resources and support towards myself. I feel fortunate to have moved from Zero to where I am today, in a matter of a few years when it comes to understanding the myriad of questions I have about the history of politics and schooling and how everything else ties in, things from finance, economics (including the offshoot of marketing;branding, positioning, distribution, mass-media, etc) psychology, sociology,...

I received a gold nugget again today - in the form of a comment left by a reader. It introduced me to an option I've been searching for - Esperanto. I somehow knew that I would not be able to make it in time to reduce the degree of myopia we make up our worldview from. In fact, I am not even in a position to say I have transparent, omniscient knowledge of the evolving world.

No comments:

Post a Comment